Saturday, August 9, 2008

Shoppers Beware

Hello Friends -

In light of higher costs of pretty much everything these days everyone needs to be aware of how to save a few pennies here and there. As I was grocery shopping the other day, I did as I always do. I was looking not only at the sale tags at Cub Foods in Apple Valley, but I was also looking at the price per ounce on the original price tag that is usually found under the item you want to buy. People, this is one of the best ways to get more product for your money. I know that people say, buy the store brands and buy the sale items. These are great tips, but they aren't always the rule. Here are a few products I bought that day and how I save by looking at the price per ounce.

~Cub packaged chicken breasts, more plump and juicy than the leading Gold 'N Plump
Cub $3.89 per pound Gold 'N Plump $5.18 per pound
*This is where buying at the meat counter yields you more chicken, better flavor and juicier meat EVERY TIME!

~On average, buying 3 pounds of hamburger (in the 3 pound tube) saves you at least 5-10 cents vs. buying single pound tubes. However, check if there's a sale on the pound tubes.

~Land O' Lakes 1/2 and 1/2 cream is 8.7 cents and ounce vs. Cub brand at 9.3 cents an ounce.
*Checking the ingredients, LOL is pure cream and milk, Cub has a few additive ingredients

~St. Ives face scrub for the 10 ounce tub you pay 54.9 cents an ounce vs the tube at 69.8 cents an ounce.

I didn't have time to price all my items out, but these are a few I buy A LOT of so I'm always saving when I take the extra few seconds to check out ounce price. Also, using coupons in addition where you can will also help cut cost, but that's a given.

This past week I had the pleasure of making a meal for a family in need at our church. I didn't have a ton of time so I made my quick chicken pasta salad with a nice and easy dessert. Since I missed my recipe last time, here's 2 for 1!

Chicken Vegetable Pasta Salad
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Servings 10 - 12

1 cup sour cream
1 cup mayonnaise
2 packets Good Seasons Dry Italian Mix
2 tablespoons milk *more if you'd like
1 box rotini pasta, cooked, drained and cooled
3 cups chicken breast, diced
2 cups raw broccoli florets
2 cups raw cauliflower florets
1 cup shredded carrots (buy the bag in your produce dept.)
1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 - 3/4 cup crumbled bacon

*Mix the sour cream, mayonnaise and dry italian seasoning mix. Add a little milk to thin out if necessary.
*Cook pasta according to directions and drain. Add ice cubes into strainer full of pasta to cool down quickly. Drain well.
*While the pasta is cooking, get your broccoli and cauliflower florets cut up.
*Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl and put in fridge to chill and blend flavors at least 30 minutes to an hour.

For Dessert

1 container Philadelphia Ready to eat Cheesecake Filling
18 mini graham cracker pie shells or 1 large graham cracker pie shell (In your baking isle)
Fresh berries, cherries or other fruit
OR
Chocolate, caramel and toasted pecans (turtle cheesecake)

Fill each mini pie shell or the large pie shell with the cheesecake filling. Top with fruit or turtle toppings. Enjoy!

Have a great day,
Kirsten

2 comments:

priorfatgirl's mom said...

Hi Kirsten, I'm going to try making half of the pasta salad as it sounds like it makes a lot. Then we can have all of the cheese cake.

Dana said...

hey kirsten ~ the salad sounds easy and healthy ... hope to give it a try sometime. [i happen to have the same dots template :)] ... also, that's really neat that you were able to see your dad again ... i'm sure it's really tough at times.